Hands: the most frequently used parts of our bodies, constantly exposed to the elements, harsh chemicals, and other irritants leaving them feeling dry, cracked, and sore. They deserve extra kindness, love, care and attention.
If your hands are often rough and chapped, it's time to explore natural remedies for treating and preventing this common and painful problem. From soothing oatmeal to moisturising coconut oil and nourishing Shea butter, these seven natural remedies can help you achieve soft, healthy, and beautiful hands. Without further ado, let's dive into the top natural remedies for cracked hands and discover how to restore your hands to their optimal health and supple glory.
What are cracked hands?
Cracked hands, occur when the skin on the hands becomes dry and loses its natural elasticity, causing it to crack or split open. This uncomfortable and painful situation can even lead to infection if left untreated.
Why are your hands cracked?
Cracked hands' culprits?
- Harsh soaps
- Cold weather
- Frequent hand washing
- Exposure to chemicals
How to treat cracked hands?
To prevent further damage and maintain healthy, soft hands, treating cracked hands is key.
- Coconut Oil - Envelop your hands in coconut oil. A natural moisturiser that will soothe and heal your cracked hands. Rich in medium-chain fatty acids, coconut oil is easily absorbed by the skin, making it an effective and intense moisturiser. To use coconut oil for cracked hands, simply warm up a small amount of coconut oil in your hands and apply it to the affected area. Massage gently for a few minutes to allow the oil to fully absorb into the skin. Repeat this process as needed throughout the day and before going to sleep.
- Aloe Vera - Harness the soothing power of aloe vera. Aloe vera, a natural remedy treating cracked hands and distressed skin. Laden with anti-inflammatory and healing properties, aloe vera soothe and repair damaged skin. Extract aloe vera gel from the leaf, and apply it directly to the affected area. It also works wonders on burns and sunburns. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse off with warm water. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for best results and let your hands heal.
- Oatmeal - Remove dead skin cells and promote the growth of new, healthy skin using oatmeal as a natural exfoliant. To use oatmeal for cracked hands, mix 2 tablespoons of oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of honey and enough water to make a paste. Apply the paste to your hands and gently massage for a few minutes, then rinse off with warm water. Repeat this process once a week to keep your hands smooth and healthy.
- Honey - Let honey come to the rescue of your cracked hands. As a natural humectant, honey locks in moisture and keeps your hands hydrated while its antibacterial properties prevent infection. To use honey for cracked hands, apply a thin layer of honey to the affected area and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry. Repeat this process 2-3 times a week for best results.
- Shea Butter - Delve into the luxurious world of Shea butter, a natural moisturiser soothing and repairing cracked hands. Laden with vitamins A and E, and essential fatty acids, it nourishes and protects your skin. To use Shea butter for cracked hands, apply a small amount of Shea butter to the affected area and massage gently until it is fully absorbed. Repeat this process as needed throughout the day or before bedtime.
- Jojoba Oil - Mirroring the skin's natural oils, jojoba oil is an effective moisturiser for cracked hands. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, reduces redness and irritation, and offers intense moisturisation and inflammation relief. To use jojoba oil for cracked hands, warm up a small amount of oil in your hands and apply it to the affected area. Massage gently for a few minutes until the oil is fully absorbed. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day and let the magic unfold.
- Avocado Oil - Packed with vitamins A, D, and E and essential fatty acids, avocado oil nourishes, smoothes and moisturises dry, cracked skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce redness and irritation, making it an ideal choice for sensitive skin. To use avocado oil for cracked hands, warm up a small amount of oil in your hands and massage it gently into the affected area. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day and let your hands enjoy it.
Natural Remedies to the Rescue
From coconut oil to jojoba oil, nature offers a myriad of remedies to treat and prevent cracked hands. But prevention is key to soothe and repair dry, cracked skin. Wear gloves in cold weather, use gentle soaps, and avoid exposure to harsh chemicals. By taking care of your hands and using these natural remedies, your skin will be healthy, soft, and moisturised.
Yet, if you're seeking instant relief, look no further than MaGéAu Naturel's Natural Hand Lotion. Crafted with 100% natural, hydrating and moisturising ingredients like Shea Butter and Magnesium, it keeps your hands hydrated, moisturised, sooth and protected. Keep it close—next to your sink, at your workplace, in your hand bag—to nourish your hands at all times. Order yours now and bid adieu to cracked hands forever!